Sunday, April 5, 2009

Spring Break Day 1

I love Spring Break! After Thanksgiving, and Christmas, the winter always seems to DRRRRAAAAGGGG on until Spring Break. I'm heading to San Francisco for the week for my first "on my own" vacation. I'm really looking forward to it to be able to do what I want, eat what I want, and have time to ponder the deeper meanings of life. It's weird. Even though I live by myself, I still always feel so busy, and I'm so excited to just chill with no schedule whatsoever for the next 5 days.
Anyway, today I left Salt Lake around 1:30 in the afternoon, and am now staying the night in Reno, NV after having traveled the "loneliest road." It's called that because between Salt Lake and basically Elko Nevada (and a little past) -- which is about 4 hours -- there is NOTHING. Few cars, all desert, and not even any mountains. Honestly, it made me think a lot about the Donner Party. I don't know how they made it to the mountains at all, with all the desert and no fresh water anywhere. It's no wonder they lost so many animals in that stretch. I can't imagine how miserable it was.
I also had a really cool experience today. I left so late in the day because I wanted to be sure to keep a radio signal long enough to hear the last session of General Conference. I prayed that the radio signal would last long enough, and even after going through three mountain ranges, it didn't cut out until 2 minutes after the closing prayer. Then it was gone. Heavenly Father loves to remind me that He is completely aware of me and my needs and will always answer my prayers for righteous desires.
I took a couple of pictures but I'll have to upload them later. My computer is being unruly again. :P

Lest this post become boring, though, here's a picture of the Donners ...

No comments: